Monday, October 25, 2004

New England Sports

As a sports junkie it shouldn't suprise you that the majority of what I write is sports related (when my typing isn't messed up by my desire to type quickly). In the 80's I didn't cheer for the Celtics (and I still don't. I don't like Larry Bird). In 1986 I cheered for the Mets against the Red Sox and I was as happy as the rest of New York when Mookie Wilson's ground ball went through Bill Buckner's legs in game 6. I was very upset when Bill Parcells took the New England Patriots job and actually laid the foundation for their current success with Bill Belichick as their coach.

I screamed loudly when Aaron Boone hit the ALCS game winning home run in game 7 last year.

I moaned, wailed, screamed, kicked and almost punched everything when the Yankees lost game 7 this year.

I was pumped when the Knicks came back from down 2-0 in the first round of the playoffs against the Celtics and won the clinching game 5 in the Boston Garden.

Having said all of this, it upsets me that Boston might become the next city for sports dynasties. We know that New England is the defending Super Bowl champs and hasn't lost this year (we wont mention that they had to steal an old New York coach to lead their team) and unless Babe Ruth wakes up and starts playing for the Cardinals the next four games the Red Sox will end 86 years of futility.

I can't express to you just how much that bothers me. See, as a New Yorker, I'm extremely happy when I can look at a New Englander and just know that inately, I'm better than they are.

That's all probably going to come crashing down on me this weekend.

Goodbye cruel world. It's been nice knowing you. Now I'll have to live in a world that has a warped sense of reality and a world that knows that hell hath frozen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home