Friday, September 10, 2004

The Producers

I had a treat last night. I took in my first musical at Popejoy Hall and it was a blast. Natalie and I went to see The Producers, the new Mel Brooks musical. It was great! I enjoy Mel Brooks' humor and he was definitely at his best while penning this production.

The story is about a Broadway show producer, Max Bialystock (the biggest name in Broadway - 13 letters) who has started to run out of magic in New York, 1959. His shows just aren't the big hits they used to be. One day he's sitting in his office when Leo Bloom, an accountant comes in to balance his books. While sitting there, Leo suddenly realizes that a producer can make a fortune just producing Broadway flops. So, Max and Leo team up to produce the worst Broadway show ever, by enlisting the help of Director Roger De Bris (he and his staff are very fruity, including a man dressed as an indian and a biker, ala The Village People) and a stunning blonde Swede named Ulla. Throw in a bunch of old ladies with their walkers, a former Nazi named Franz and the show called Springtime for Hittler and you've got the makings of a great night. I highly recommend you spend the money and see this show.

P.S. - Special thanks to Natalie for attending the show with me. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home